As part of The Wesleyan Church (a Bible-believing network of outreach-minded churches, read more about the Wesleyan Church here) we adhere to orthodox positions regarding the nature of God, Christ, the Trinity and Christ's birth, death, resurrection, ascension, and imminent return.
We are confident in the Bible as our written source for spiritual guidance. We believe that personal faith in Christ is our only hope for salvation. We look to Christ and his Word for our example for life. And we believe that we need each other for effective spiritual growth, encouragement and maturity in our daily Christian walk.
Here are some core beliefs:
- We believe that the Bible is fully inspired by God...that it is accurate and that it is our trustworthy guide for faith and practice.
- We believe in one God (beside whom there is no other) who has chosen to reveal himself to us in many ways as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that people are made in the image of God, but because of our fall into sin we display the universal tendency toward rebellion, active or passive, against God.
- We believe that because of our sin, man is separated from God. There is nothing that I can do on my own to restore that relationship with God.
We believe that Jesus Christ lived the perfect life that we could not live...and then accepted the punishment that we deserve...death. By accepting the punishment for our sins on our behalf, He offers us a pardon of forgiveness.
- We believe that the only way to accept this pardon is by confessing our sins to God, believing that He is sufficient to give us forgiveness, and then inviting Him to become the Master of our life.
- We believe that Christians (or 'Christ-followers') are called to holy living as a daily lifestyle, which is made possible through the power and sanctifying presence of the Holy Spirit in the believer's life.
- We believe that First Wesleyan Church exists to glorify God by 'Sharing the Hope' of Jesus Christ within the greater Tuscaloosa community.